The LNG Terminal is an important element of our economy, it is also of major importance to the West Pomerania Province and Świnoujście. It is one of Poland's biggest investments in recent years and it fulfils many community-related tasks. According to research conducted by TNS, virtually all residents of Świnoujście (99%) and almost a half of the residents of the West Pomerania Province know about the construction of the LNG Terminal. Moreover, this impressive investment which will improve Poland's and Baltic Countries' energy security is something to be proud of for 83% of Świnoujście residents.
This huge charge of optimism, expectations and faith in the success of this undertaking places important responsibilities on Polskie LNG – which is accountable for the construction and operation of the terminal – towards the local community.
Acting according to the principles of corporate social responsibility, the company focuses on key aspects pertaining to the lives of the residents of the city and has been carrying out numerous local and regional projects. Polskie LNG puts special emphasis on:
- education – it is the exclusive partner of the Physics lab in the Copernicus Science Centre, sponsors educational and sports events for pre-school children and supports knowledge competitions organised in Świnoujście, including the Maths Competition and the Polish National Dictation;
- sport – it sponsors the Kite Fort Academy in Świnoujście;
- initiatives pertaining to improving residents' and tourists' safety, donations for the Natioanl Fire Service and cooperation with WOPR on the "Blue Energy" program whose aim is to educate people on first aid, beach safety and the LNG terminal safety,
- commitment to ecological pursuits and protection of natural environment – the LNG terminal is a model example of harmonious coexistence of a huge investment and a Natura 2000 area, the company also supports the "4 Seasons with Natura 2000" photo competition in the West Pomerania Province,
- endorsement of art and culture which manifests itself through the construction of the PLN 1 million worth recreation area in the Warszów district, financial support for the renovation of the historic PAW600 cannon for the Museum of Coastal Defence in Świnoujście. PLNG also participates in all major events in Świnoujście and the West Pomerania Province, including: the Coolture Carousel, Sail Świnoujście, International Lighthouse Days and Days of the Fortress on the Islands,
- helping people in need, for instance, by means of granting financial support to the City Hospital in Świnoujście.
The responsibilities of Polskie LNG towards the local community stem mainly from the sense of responsibility for harmonious development and coexistence of three key elements related to the investment; namely, the economy, society and natural environment. The company's activities are in line with global trends – sustainable development and corporate social responsibility (CSR), adopted by large and innovative companies.
Following this trend, the company drew up its own CSR policy based on close relations with the surrounding and support for local initiatives. Therefore, while carrying out its business objectives, the company consistently takes into consideration the social interest as well as local economic and social needs. Thanks to the CSR policy, the residents of Świnoujście, especially of the right bank area, perceive the LNG terminal not only as an investment which is of strategic importance from the economic point of view, but primarily as an opportunity for the city, the province and its residents to develop.